Before I start, I just want to let y’all know, I say Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays, and I respect that you might not celebrate Christmas, and in that case I hope you had a great holiday, whatever it was…. but I celebrated Christmas, so I’m not going to call it ‘the holiday’ throughout my post. It was Christmas for me. And Christmas it shall stay. I really have no intention of offending anyone – there’s just been so much hoopla on facebook lately though about Happy Holidays VS Merry Christmas, I wanted to make that clear that I don’t mean to offend anyone by saying it…. and on that note:
Merry (Belated) Christmas everyone!
So I know it’s been a while since my last post, but Christmas this year got a lot more hectic than I thought it would, and well, these things happen. I honestly thought I’d have time to update more often, and planned out titles and everything for the days leading up to Christmas… but alas, I was overruled. (I even stopped watching Christmas movies in full – I fell asleep watching the claymation ‘Santa Clause is Coming to Town’ on Christmas Eve!) Hopefully I can make it up to you with this delicious cinnamon bun recipe I tried out today. Y’all are gonna love it. I’ll get to that in a little bit though.
First off! How was everyone’s Christmas/Holiday season?? Like I said ours was hectic and busy, I worked, I had three dinners to go to (bless my family with all the food we enjoy – there are too many of us to all show up at once, but being right around the corner from my grandma, my mom and I are always there for all three) I think I’m still pretty stuffed from the dinners… deep fried turkey, baked ham, cabbage rolls, perogies, stuffing, mashed potatoes, kielbasa, vegetables, meatballs, lasagna…. and let’s not even start on the desserts! I did get a nice recipe however I’ll need to try. 😉 Then there was the pancake breakfast I had with my ‘sisters’ on the Friday…. So much food, such a short week.
Also, guess what!? On December 27, 2011, we got our first snowfall of the season! And it was gone by this morning. But it was beautiful yesterday – even while I helped bring in the shopping carts from the parking lot at work… I wanted to have a snowball fight with someone, but nobody was around…. Maybe I’ll get to put out a new Ice Wreath soon though! It’s definitely getting cold enough 🙂 I’m excited to get more…. though not too much. Humans are so picky aren’t we? In winter, it’s too cold, we can’t wait for summer, then summer comes, and it’s too hot, then we want snow, but when it comes, we don’t want to shovel it so we hate it…. Mother Nature really is just in a lose-lose-lose situation….
Anywho, New Year’s is coming up (I promise I won’t leave my blog unattended that long again) so I’m starting to think about some good new year goals and resolutions, any ideas? I’m going to go over my December goal list again this week and see what I accomplished, but not tonight, I’m still way too tired (does anyone else get this tired after Christmas? Like, no matter how much I sleep, I can’t seem to catch up, this is worst than exams – granted I didn’t work during exams either) I’ll get my New Years list up shortly though… first I want to plan out some schedules to maybe help me stick to it better.
Now however, as promised, here is the recipe I found for:
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. For the filling, in a small bowl combine softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon to form a crumbly mixture
3. Sprinkle 1/2 of the mixture over the bottom of a 9×9 pan (I only did a bit at first, then after I put the filling on the dough, I sprinkled what I had left into the pan)
4. In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
5. Cut in softened butter (sometimes your hands are the best tools – sometimes 15 seconds in the microwave works too).
6. Stir in milk to form a soft dough. (Your hands can come in handy here… I found it easier to kneed the dough as I added the milk…)
7. Roll out dough on a lightly floured into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
8. Spread the remaining filling on the rolled out dough.
9. Roll up the rectangle, with a sharp knife slice into 18 small rolls (12 if you want them a little bigger) (I found that my dough was a little soft to cut nicely, (or my knife was a little dull maybe) but it was easier if I wrapped the rolled up dough in seran wrap and stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes – just until I did the dishes and tidied up the rest of the mess)
10. Bake for 20-25 min.
11. For glaze, combine powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl and stir until smooth. (I do this by eye, but typically it’s two parts icing sugar/powdered sugar per every one part milk… but you can add more or less of each as needed)
Once rolls are finished, drizzle on glaze and serve warm.
And there ya have it! It was quite easy, and no waiting for yeast to rise or anything! The only thing I might try differently next time is the icing… this icing is good, but it’s more of a sugar cookie base icing, I feel like cinnamon rolls need a different type of icing… maybe one with cream cheese in it next time. 🙂 Until then though, I’m quite proud how these turned out… I guess my dog kicking me out of my bed at 8:30 in the morning so that she could take it over payed off afterall!