Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Oh I'm just a girl on a mission…
Woohoo what a day!
I got an awesome workout in with TurboJam this morning, got all my laundry done, did some baking, and then enjoyed a fabulous dinner with my best friends in the world! The four of us have been friends now for almost 15 years… and they are literally like sisters to me. It’s been too long since we’ve all gotten together, what with life, school, and work getting in the way… but when we’re together it’s awesome. I love them all dearly and miss them already… especially since I know two of them leave this weekend for school and I won’t see them until the end of February. 😦 BUT we had a blast tonight, and we did our secret santa gift swap, shared some stories, gave advice, made resolutions (Actually my one friend made our resolutions for us… her word is law though. Always has been.), serenaded some waiters… Barrel of laughs like always.
Anywho, along with that awesome day, I did a little bit of baking. I figured, tomorrow will be my first time hanging out with people at school… so why not get some baking in for them while I can. 🙂
Today I made left over chocolate tarts…. they taste a lot better than they sound. Truth is I don’t actually know the name, I saw the recipe at Halloween time on Rachel Ray – featuring Buddy the Cake Boss. It’s not so much a recipe as a way to rid the house of all the left over chocolate and candy.
Basically, whatever chocolate/candy you have left over, you put into a pie crust (obviously try a little bit to pay some attention to flavours) and then you bake it and serve it. I did a mini version…. Tart size.
First I baked my tart shells slightly, just enough to get them a real light golden colour… then I took them out and while they were still warm, I put a reese peanut butter cup in the bottom of each (the warmth started softening the chocolate right away so I could push it down a bit) after that I added a piece of a mini Aero bar into each tart…
Then I added a piece of Hershey Milk Chocolate with Almonds… and a piece of a crunch bar… and to top it off and add some colour, a sprinkle of reeses pieces candy. Then I stuck it back in the oven enough to melt the chocolate.
I cooked it for a little bit, maybe 10 minutes, honestly I just watched for the shells to darken more, I didn’t want to overcook it (though a few of the chocolate pieces that stuck up burnt a little bit… my bad)
I think they look good… unfortunately I’m watching what I eat (I researched all my options tonight for dinner before we went and I got a lovely 8oz steak (no sauce) and a side salad (dressing on the side) for only 400 calories… love it!) so I have yet to actually taste these… however, I will let you know tomorrow how the verdict turns out. 🙂
I said ‘no!’ to potato chips today! I get it’s not a huge deal, but to me it is. Potato Chips… Mrs. Vickies salt and vinegar mainly, are my downfall. I have major issues with chips. Buuuuut I. Said. No. 😀 Proud moment for me ok.
Instead today I made myself a lovely haddock fillet with brown rice for dinner. And an incredible strawberry smoothie for a late breakfast (since I overslept a bit more than I should have). It was a really good supper though, and like I said I’d do in my resolutions, I turned the tv off while I was eating my dinner, and focused only on it. Little by little I’m going to get myself back on track to a healthy eating habit. Baby steps.
I also didn’t buy any Tim Horton’s today… put $1.60 in my Jar instead and made a tea. 🙂
The highlight of my day however, TurboJam. Today was the first time I’ve gotten all of the moves completely right the first time, and didn’t have to slow down a lot because I was tired. Not saying I wasn’t tired or sweating like a pig, but I pushed myself through it and didn’t give up. I just hope I can keep it up. I know I can.
Other than that today wasn’t too interesting. I went back to classes today at McMaster. I only made 1 of 4 of them…. but it was the most important one. *blushes* In all honesty, my mom was sick most of the night and in the morning, and I can only get my grandma to stay with her for so long, so I chose my afternoon class instead of the morning, because I get participation marks for the afternoon class. It was fun going back though! I got to see some of my cool people, not everyone, and not for long, but I did get to see some cool people.
So guess who gets to cross something off her bucket list!? This girl right here, that’s who!
I had an incredible time last night, and, I got to ride a mechanical bull! One of my best friends, Emily, took me out to a bar in town that has a mechanical bull, Dirty Dogs. It was a total blast! The stairs at work today, which happen to be quite steep already, were so painful to climb though! But other than that no harm done. It really was just a lot of awesomeness, and I can’t wait to go back. I need to out-do my personal record of… drum roll please…………12.7 seconds! Hahaha
Anywho, I had an awesome time, with great friends, and got home late and got up early for work and it was all just so great. McMaster University’s football team also won the Vanier Cup last night, and the Toronto Maple Leafs won the hockey game…. it was just an overall great night. In case you haven’t gotten that yet.
Today was less exciting (I honestly had butterflies in my stomach all day yesterday), but it will be a more exciting day then tomorrow, as all I have to work on tomorrow is homework, essays, and readings. One more week of school….one more week of school…. anywho, I’ll appreciate work today as I won’t like all the stuff I need to work on tomorrow. I should probably organize my room better too…
Anywho, I wanted to update you all on my bucket list accomplishment, and I honestly recommend you get out there and try a mechanical bull (just do a google search for mechanical bull bars in your city). It’s just the right amount of adrenaline rush you need to get those bucket list accomplishments started!
Alright, so since my first blog was an epic failure on my part, I decided to basically erase all my posts, and start fresh. I’ve also had a *cough*few people telling me I should really get a blog started (most of them didn’t know about the last blog, you know, since I pretty much failed on it)… so here it is, the new and improved, goal setting and following, blog.
So, since it’s the new first official blog, I’ll start with the typical ‘ten facts’:
1. I’m still not really sure what to include in a Blog: Bear with me – I’m still new at this, I’m going to try a few things – challenges, baking recipes, exercise tracker – and knowing me, I’ll probably try to do them all at once – so keep an eye on the blog, because it shall be ever changing. My main focus is going to be goals. Set a goal, follow through with it on the blog until I accomplish it. Keep an eye on my ‘Bucket List’ tab up at the top… Hopefully I’ll be crossing those of (and maybe adding new ones to the list) as my blogging days increase!
2. I’m a clutz: I’ve come to consider it a skill. It makes it easier to laugh it off. Some of my favourite moments include the multiple poles I continue to walk into at work; the door at my university that’s a ‘pull’ door, yet I continue to walk into it even after two and a half years; the blind man I almost walked into on my first day of university; the flying bird I tripped over one day while I was out for a run – yes you read that right, it was flying; and most recently the ‘no parking’ sign I walked into, right after slipping and wiping out on the grass while running to the bus.
3. I’m an English Major: I like to use this as an excuse when I make stupid mistakes involving basic math or numbers (Like reading my schedule wrong at work) Also, feel free to point out any spelling and grammar mistakes. I encourage “…I thought you were an English major…” jokes.
4. I love music: My iPod can go from a Saving Abel song, to a Taylor Swift song, to an Eminem song, to a Celine Dion song, to a Ke$ha song, to a Nickelback song. Legit. I love it all. My music preference for the day changes with my mood. In fact, maybe I’ll try and name each post after song lyrics… let’s see how long that lasts. Day One: Check!
5. Taylor Swift is my Idol: For those of you who could not tell, yes, my blog name is based off of her song “Place in this World.” I love her. I can relate with almost every one of her songs, and her newest CD, “Speak Now,” literally came out at a time when I needed it, and all the messages in it, the most.
6. My friends and family mean the world to me: I take care of my mom. I’m an only child. My friends – and I mean my true blue, real, friends – are like siblings to me. There is nothing I wouldn’t do for them or my mom. Nothing.
7. I love reading: I really do. It’s getting harder to find time, but I love it. I’m a Harry Potter nerd. I admit it. The Outsider’s is also an all-time favourite. I’ll share a few more favourites in future blog posts.
8. I am addicted to Tim Horton’s Tea: Addicted. I have at least two a day, on days when I work (across the street from a Tim Horton’s) or I’m at school (with four Tim Horton’s (that I know of) on campus), I’ve reached up to six teas a day. Only Tim Horton’s though. I even buy the boxes of their teabags to take home. I don’t know why, it just tastes so much better than regular tea. Not that I refuse regular tea, I’ll drink it too… I just prefer good ol’ Tim’s.
9. I love Kickboxing: I did it for over a year, then the gym I was going to closed. Since then it’s been hard to find a good, affordable gym, especially when I have no time to look, and a bunch of other expenses that need to be dealt with first. Currently I’m on a ‘TurboJam’ kick though – Pun intended – It’s a video program from BeachBody (the company that makes P90X) that combines kickboxing and a bit (and I mean minimal) amount of dancing. It’s basically a kickboxing routine set to loud, quick paced music. It’s so addicting, and the food recommendations that come with it are so great too! My cousin’s fiancée recommended I try it, and I’ve been hooked ever since.
10. I was originally inspired to start a blog by watching The Rachael Ray Show: There was a girl on Rachael Ray who went on the Carb-Lover’s Diet. You can find her blog here. I was intrigued by her… for lack of a better word at the moment… bravery. She documented her weight loss on her blog, pictures and all. I haven’t had a chance to go back and read her whole blog, but I do plan on it. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not self-conscious of my body, I’m happy, I really am. But I also know I could be healthier. It’s not just about how I look, it’s how I feel, and I know from experience that I feel a lot better when I eat healthier. I’ve done it before, but like Jen I can’t seem to find that one plan that sticks, and if I have I haven’t found the ambition to stick to it I guess. Jen’s story really got me thinking though, anything really is possible if you want it bad enough and have the determination to start it. Maybe I just need more encouragement to really get focused on all of my goals. So what better way then to post all my challenges and worries on the internet for all to see. My mom always says I work best under pressure – so lay it on me!
So, after contemplating this for a while, I’ve decided to take a page out of Jen’s book and start my own blog. Now I don’t want to copy her, and I’m not going to make this a weight loss thing, it’s more of a setting goals and following them through type of blog. I feel that if I commit to something as simple as updating a blog once a day, I can force myself to commit to bigger goals that I’ve been putting off for so long. No more “this is silly” or “I’ll start tomorrow” or “I can’t start a new workout schedule on a Tuesday, that’ll look weird. I’ll start fresh on Saturday, *inhales bag of chips* …uh… Sunday.”
So here’s to new beginnings, new attitudes, new adventures, and new goals as I set out to find my place in this world.