Alright, so since my first blog was an epic failure on my part, I decided to basically erase all my posts, and start fresh. I’ve also had a *cough*few people telling me I should really get a blog started (most of them didn’t know about the last blog, you know, since I pretty much failed on it)… so here it is, the new and improved, goal setting and following, blog.
So, since it’s the new first official blog, I’ll start with the typical ‘ten facts’:
1. I’m still not really sure what to include in a Blog: Bear with me – I’m still new at this, I’m going to try a few things – challenges, baking recipes, exercise tracker – and knowing me, I’ll probably try to do them all at once – so keep an eye on the blog, because it shall be ever changing. My main focus is going to be goals. Set a goal, follow through with it on the blog until I accomplish it. Keep an eye on my ‘Bucket List’ tab up at the top… Hopefully I’ll be crossing those of (and maybe adding new ones to the list) as my blogging days increase!
2. I’m a clutz: I’ve come to consider it a skill. It makes it easier to laugh it off. Some of my favourite moments include the multiple poles I continue to walk into at work; the door at my university that’s a ‘pull’ door, yet I continue to walk into it even after two and a half years; the blind man I almost walked into on my first day of university; the flying bird I tripped over one day while I was out for a run – yes you read that right, it was flying; and most recently the ‘no parking’ sign I walked into, right after slipping and wiping out on the grass while running to the bus.
3. I’m an English Major: I like to use this as an excuse when I make stupid mistakes involving basic math or numbers (Like reading my schedule wrong at work) Also, feel free to point out any spelling and grammar mistakes. I encourage “…I thought you were an English major…” jokes.
4. I love music: My iPod can go from a Saving Abel song, to a Taylor Swift song, to an Eminem song, to a Celine Dion song, to a Ke$ha song, to a Nickelback song. Legit. I love it all. My music preference for the day changes with my mood. In fact, maybe I’ll try and name each post after song lyrics… let’s see how long that lasts. Day One: Check!
5. Taylor Swift is my Idol: For those of you who could not tell, yes, my blog name is based off of her song “Place in this World.” I love her. I can relate with almost every one of her songs, and her newest CD, “Speak Now,” literally came out at a time when I needed it, and all the messages in it, the most.
6. My friends and family mean the world to me: I take care of my mom. I’m an only child. My friends – and I mean my true blue, real, friends – are like siblings to me. There is nothing I wouldn’t do for them or my mom. Nothing.
7. I love reading: I really do. It’s getting harder to find time, but I love it. I’m a Harry Potter nerd. I admit it. The Outsider’s is also an all-time favourite. I’ll share a few more favourites in future blog posts.
8. I am addicted to Tim Horton’s Tea: Addicted. I have at least two a day, on days when I work (across the street from a Tim Horton’s) or I’m at school (with four Tim Horton’s (that I know of) on campus), I’ve reached up to six teas a day. Only Tim Horton’s though. I even buy the boxes of their teabags to take home. I don’t know why, it just tastes so much better than regular tea. Not that I refuse regular tea, I’ll drink it too… I just prefer good ol’ Tim’s.
9. I love Kickboxing: I did it for over a year, then the gym I was going to closed. Since then it’s been hard to find a good, affordable gym, especially when I have no time to look, and a bunch of other expenses that need to be dealt with first. Currently I’m on a ‘TurboJam’ kick though – Pun intended – It’s a video program from BeachBody (the company that makes P90X) that combines kickboxing and a bit (and I mean minimal) amount of dancing. It’s basically a kickboxing routine set to loud, quick paced music. It’s so addicting, and the food recommendations that come with it are so great too! My cousin’s fiancée recommended I try it, and I’ve been hooked ever since.
10. I was originally inspired to start a blog by watching The Rachael Ray Show: There was a girl on Rachael Ray who went on the Carb-Lover’s Diet. You can find her blog here. I was intrigued by her… for lack of a better word at the moment… bravery. She documented her weight loss on her blog, pictures and all. I haven’t had a chance to go back and read her whole blog, but I do plan on it. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not self-conscious of my body, I’m happy, I really am. But I also know I could be healthier. It’s not just about how I look, it’s how I feel, and I know from experience that I feel a lot better when I eat healthier. I’ve done it before, but like Jen I can’t seem to find that one plan that sticks, and if I have I haven’t found the ambition to stick to it I guess. Jen’s story really got me thinking though, anything really is possible if you want it bad enough and have the determination to start it. Maybe I just need more encouragement to really get focused on all of my goals. So what better way then to post all my challenges and worries on the internet for all to see. My mom always says I work best under pressure – so lay it on me!
So, after contemplating this for a while, I’ve decided to take a page out of Jen’s book and start my own blog. Now I don’t want to copy her, and I’m not going to make this a weight loss thing, it’s more of a setting goals and following them through type of blog. I feel that if I commit to something as simple as updating a blog once a day, I can force myself to commit to bigger goals that I’ve been putting off for so long. No more “this is silly” or “I’ll start tomorrow” or “I can’t start a new workout schedule on a Tuesday, that’ll look weird. I’ll start fresh on Saturday, *inhales bag of chips* …uh… Sunday.”
So here’s to new beginnings, new attitudes, new adventures, and new goals as I set out to find my place in this world.